Saturday, June 25, 2005




Currently listening to Passion: How Great is Our God


Free (WHOOO!)

I wanna clap my hands
Stomp my feet
Pound on a drum
Swing on a tree (WHOOO!)
I am so free 'cause the Father loves me

Embracing the chaos at Vacation Bible School is over for this year, and the week went very well, despite one kid losing his two front teeth in games. About one hundred thirty kids came each day and heard lessons from the Bible, ate awesome snacks, made creative crafts, and played fabulously fun games. Also, many parents who do not attend our church came to Parents Night even though it was the same night as the final Spurs game!

My week on this Prayer Safari has left me quite tired, yet refreshed at the same time. I did learn many things about prayer, but toward the end of the week my thoughts started to turn to the freedom we have as Christians. Many of these thoughts were spurred on by one of the songs the kids sang called, "The Father Loves Me". (quoted above) The song talks about being free and also being children of God. I have been studying through Galatians this summer with Tyler Sultze, and this epistle also speaks at length about being free and children of God. "For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith." -Galatians 3:26

My musings on this topic led me to start making a mental list of some of the things we are free from and also some of the things we are free to do. I thought I'd share it here.

Free from...

...sin.
...the law and legalism.
...anxiety.
...death.
...the fear of man.
...a futile life.
...selfishness.
...lust.

Free to...
...step onto liquid and live by faith in Jesus Christ.
...love others with sincerity.
...know a perfect peace that surpasses understanding.
...experience true joy that is deep and different from a happiness tied only to circumstances.
...wake up in the morning with a purpose because we are alive.
...read the Word of God, study it, meditate on it, and live it.
...tell of his salvation from day to day. (Psalm 96:2)
...sing songs of praise from a heart of worship.

This list is certainly not exhaustive, but it contains a few of the things I've been thinking about this week. I hope it encourages you.

With love, peace, and JOY!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro,

How exciting to come to your site and see a new post! I am glad that your VBS went well. I think it's true that VBS is a blessing not only for the kids but also for the helpers. I am glad that it gave you some good thoughts about being free! Thanks for sharing!

3:15 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ben!
hehe another member of the blogging community! good thoughts~the freedom we have in Christ is incredible!! hope you are enjoying your summer! maybe i will see you soon?? hehe i hope so!

10:17 PM PDT  
Blogger Kelsey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home