Friday, August 12, 2005


The Road Home
The Nest is Empty

When I turned on the light in my room today, instead of hearing the normal click of flipping a light switch, I heard more of a resounding snap. The reason for the noise: my room was empty. Today movers came and loaded up all our belongings on a moving truck. There is no turning back now; California here we come.

As the movers continued to empty our home, the excitement between me and my parents grew. About every few minutes, one of us would say, "Hey...we're moving!"

But in the midst of the excitement, there are some sad good-byes. I spent last night hanging out with some of my best friends from high school. We spent one more night having some good times and reflecting on all the fun we've had over the past years. Saying good-bye has been a bit harder than I thought it would be. I start saying "later" to someone who I've hung with for the last four years, and I start to realize, "Who knows when I will see this person again?" Saying farewell to many of these friends has forced me to reflect on my time in Texas, both on opportunities taken and opportunities lost. I have seen how God has worked in my life, but I have also seen many areas where I still have so much to learn. Praise God for his faithfulness, praise God for his mercy.

We will be staying the weekend at the home of the Ashers, some friends from church. They have a wireless network, so I'll be able to keep blogging for the time being.

Quote of the day:
"You are good
You are good
And your love endures today"
-Matt Redman, "Lord, Let Your Glory Fall"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro,

Wow! It is exciting that the time has come for the Blakeys to come back to California! Although I'm sure that saying goodbye makes the experience bittersweet. Glad to hear that you will have access to wireless internet and can keep blogging! Also, thanks for the sweet Matt Redman quote and comment!

11:25 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya I'm glad for you ben, even though I'll miss you... say, did anyone ever take baxter?

6:24 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home