Tuesday, August 02, 2005


Step Onto Liquid: Hall of Fame
Hebrews 11

The month of August is always an exciting time for me, usually a time of change. August means back to school, a birthday, and even Survival Camp over the last two summers. This year, August brings even more change than usual. Next weekend, my family will be moving from San Antonio, our home for the past 10 1/2 years, to Santa Clarita in California. The weekend after that, I will be reporting to The Master's College for Week of Welcome.

Because it usually brings change, August also tends to bring a time of reflection for me as I think about the year past and the year that is coming. And as I think about this upcoming year, I have decided to go through Hebrews 11. The awesome chapter contains a list of a "great cloud of witnesses" who lived by faith. These people stepped onto liquid. But before the chapter dives into the lives of these people of faith. The author defines faith in the first few verses.

He calls faith "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." That is why I compare faith to stepping onto liquid--walking on water. By definition, faith has a basis of what is unseen. We cannot see God but we believe in him. If we walk by sight, we are in trouble. This letter was written to Hebrews who were being tempted to live by sight and go back to religious traditions. In analyzing this passage, Jon Courson says this: "'I know it's tempting to go back to that which you can see with your eyes, smell with your nose, and touch with your hands. But don't do it,' the author pleads, 'for now you are called to something entirely different. You are called to walk by faith.'" And faith should encompass all of our lives. While my dad was preaching through this passage, he said, "Faith is all of me embracing all of Christ."

The amazing thing about Christian faith is that even though we believe in things we cannot see, our faith has a sure foundation. Our faith is based in God and his word, which says we have a living hope and an inheritance that cannot fade away, but is reserved for us! (1 Peter 1:3-4)

The third verse gives us more insight into this great God who is so far beyond our comprehension. It says, "By faith we understand that the world were framed by the word of God." (NKJV) The Greek word translated "world" there is "aionas," which can also be translated "ages." This implies that God not only established the world, but he also upholds space and time even now. He's got the whole world in his hands.

As I'm approaching a time of change in my life, these truths are exceedingly comforting. I do not need to worry about the future because God has "the ages" under control. What is the only thing I need to do? Walk by faith. Step onto liquid. Obey what I know the Lord has called me to do through his word. If I am seeking him first and drawing near to him by faith, I know he will take care of everything else.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing has remained constant though ben, your never changing topic of change on you blog... HAHA! not but in all seriousness, it is a good topic, so good job.

7:43 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home