Friday, November 24, 2006

My Psalm of Thanksgiving



I've decided that I am that untraditional Thanksgiving guy. I enjoyed this Thanksgiving in Santa Barbara with my family. We played some golf (group picture above), took a walk to the beach, and ate one of the best meals of my life, which--here it comes--invovled no turkey for me. I opted for prime rib, shrimp cocktails, and this chocolate/cream/strawberries cake that felt like an explosion of flavor with each bite. Then my parents, Billy, Cory, and I drove back to Santa Clarita, got into our jammies, and watched a movie. It was an awesome Thanksgiving.

I know I have so much for which to be thankful. Just thinking about what I got to do yesterday with my fam is reason for praise. Circumstantially, I am so blessed. I can agree with David when he says, "The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance." But as David shows in the rest of Psalm 16, true blessedness goes way beyond external circumstances.

In verse two he says to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." Verse 5 says, "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot." True blessedness comes only from the Lord. Circumstances change, and if your contentment/thankfulness is based on that, it's not very strong. But if the Lord is your portion, you can say with David, "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." That is why I'm thankful. I know the Lord, and I only get to look forward to joy in his presence forever.

It's been a great Thanksgiving Break. The weather, even in Santa Barbara, has become a little bit cooler. The holiday season is here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro, Thanks for the Thanksgiving blog! Glad to hear you had a great day! Truly we have a lot to be thankful for every day as Psalm 16 describes.

9:22 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home