Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thoughts on Hebrews

I was on a blogging roll, but that came to a screeching halt over the weekend. I've been sick since Monday, so I've been using all my spare time for sleeping instead of blogging.

I'm back home now for Thanksgiving Break. The last couple days of school have been weird with everyone leaving. Even though this Break only involves two days of no classes, it seems like you're saying goodbye for Christmas Break. I'm really looking forward these couple days--hanging out with family and catching up on sleep and possibly even some homework.

One biblical text I've blogged about a lot here at Step Onto Liquid is Hebrews 11. This "Hall of Faith" fits in well with the theme of this blog. Recently I've read through the book of Hebrews in my personal devotions, and I've been excited to see how this great section of Scripture fits in with the rest of the book.

Possibly the most climactic passage in this book is the first two verses of chapter twelve:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
The first 10 chapters of Hebrews thoroughly explain the work and person of Christ. The opening verses establish that he is the exact imprint of God's nature and has purged our sins. Chapter 10 encourages the Hebrews to draw near to God with full assurance and to hold fast their hope that is built on the work of Christ. Chapter 11 gives so many examples of those who have lived lives of faith.
Understanding the context helped me to understand the message of Hebrews 12:1-2. Christ has perfectly purified me from my sins; I need to put my trust fully in his finished work. Chapter 11 has shown me the example of people who lived this faith out. I need to follow their example. I need to put aside sin and look at Christ. Then I need to run after him. I don't run because that effort will save me; Christ already has. I run because of what Christ has already done. He has paid my debt; he has freed me from the power of sin, enabling me to live a life of fiath. I also run for the joy that is set before me. Like Christ, running with endurance will only lead to joy. As I forsake sin, run after Christ, and look forward to the hope of eternity, I will find ultimate joy.
Read the book of Hebrews. It's awesome. Realize what Christ has done. Put your faith fully in his work. Run after him and live a life of faith. In short, step onto liquid.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro,

Thanks for the thoughts on Hebrews. Pastor Mike is preaching through that book at Compass and it is definitely and inspiration to run the race with our eyes fixed on Christ! Hope you can come and hear some of it soon!

9:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home