Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Restores the Soul

One of my favorite books as a kid was "Wacky Wednesday" by Dr. Suess. It's a fun story about a day where everything seems to be out of the ordinary.

Today was that day.

It all started when I woke up this morning. Waking up was wierd because I was not waking up in my bed in Hotchkiss. I am spending a couple nights at home, so I can take care of our families lovable pooch while my parents are at Disneyland. Not only did I wake up in a different place than normal, I also woke up not before my alarm clock went off--that never happens.

After going through an altogether different routine for getting ready for school that made me feel like I was back in high school, I started driving to school. The drive usually takes 15-20 minutes, but today it took 40. By the time I was walking into my Old Testament class 20 minutes late, my day was already wacked out.

After class was chapel. While I usually sit in the left-side bleachers with my fellow Hotchkiss men, those bleachers were not out this morning due to technical difficulties. So I got to see my first chapel from the floor. After chapel got out late, I decided it was most certainly naptime. My roommate set his alarm to go off and wake us both up in time for class, but more technical difficulties made this fail to happen. Luckily, I woke up three minutes after the alarm was supposed to start sounding. Again, that never happens.

After grabbing my books I took off for class and stopped by the cafeteria to grab lunch. When I got to class, I realized I had no fork. Luckily I had randomly picked up two carrots with my salad, which I then used as my utensils to meet my salad.

Today just didn't seem to be right. These oddities were only icing on the moldy cake of what seemed to be a really bad day. By the time I returned home, I was tired and discouraged.

But then I opened my Bible. Psalm 19 says, "The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul." I experienced this as I opened my Bible to Proverbs and began to read about the pleasantness of wisdom and the multitude of ways God blessed those who seek him. My perspective on my day was changed as God's Word directed my gaze toward him. My circumstances didn't chang--I was still tired and had a mountain of homework--but my attitude sure did. My soul was refreshed and restored by God's Word.

That's pretty cool.

See you at the polls tomorrow (or I guess now it would technically be today.)
Good night.

1 Comments:

Blogger roberta said...

It's amazing how time in God's Word can change our attitudes so qucikly. When our focus is on the Lord, everything else gets put in the right perspective.

2:44 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home