Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Last Post as a Teenager

I will never blog again as a teenager because tomorrow I am turning 20. While many say that I will feel the same tomorrow as I do today, birthdays are still a reminder to me of the reality that I am getting older, whether I feel like it or not.

My twentieth birthday comes in the midst of my first year of classes during my sophomore year here at The Master’s College. For the last two weeks, my involvement on the school’s Servant Leadership Staff has kept me pretty busy, but I have had tons of fun and learned a lot in the process.

Two weeks ago, all of SLS went on a retreat to the flaming desert of Palm Springs. The retreat gave me the opportunity to get know guys on the Hotchkiss Dorm Staff better and was also full of good teaching, mainly from our Vice President of Student Life, Dr. Tatlock. The theme for the retreat was “Improving Your Serve,” and Tat’s teaching on the subject has really helped me as I think about the upcoming year. He said we often have a “one for you, two for me” attitude towards service, or maybe even an even “one for you, one for me” mindset if we are really spiritual. However, the Bible and the example of Jesus clearly show that a “all for you, none for me” attitude is required for true service. While talking with some guys at Chipotle after the retreat, we decided that life would be easier if we woke up in the morning and did not think about ourselves at all. As simple as it may sound, that is the basic idea of selflessness.

Last week was WOW week (yes, that is Week of Welcome week) here at TMC. The next year of TMC students arrived. I’m still getting used to not being in the youngest class here. One of the highlights of the week was definitely Hotchkiss (my dorm) winning The Master’s Cup—a big relay race amongst all the dorms. My golf team won a state championship in high school, but I don’t know if the competition was as intense or if the celebration was as spirited as it was that night. Hopefully there will be some pictures to come from that soon.

Now classes have started again, and I am having to readjust to this wonderful thing called homework. That might put a slight hitch in my blogging giddy-up, but I’ll try to post somewhat consistently. Until next time, think about this:

“Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.”
-Psalm 143:8

3 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

Selflessness....that is truly awesome, i love it! way to go benjies, and happy birthday!
xoxox

12:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Bill Blakey said...

Ben!

You piece of awesome!!! Happy Birthday bro! I really enjoyed your post and I had just read that portion of Psalm 143 for my quiet time this morning! How cool is that! (By the way-those are some hard dudes on your slide...)

Love ya bro!

8:54 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro! Happy Birthday! Thanks for blogging it! It is more blessed to give than to receive!

10:42 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home