Monday, July 10, 2006

Some Sports Stuff

If you have been reading my blog and not yet realized that I am an Atlanta Braves fan, now you know. Ever since I was a wee-lad of five years old, I have sported the Tomahawk Chop. Being a Braves fan has been great for a few reasons. First, we always win. The Braves have won their division every year since I've been a fan. Second, they are easy to follow. Most of the Braves games are televised on TBS, which makes it easy for me to watch them whether I'm in Texas or California.

If you've been following baseball this year, you will have noticed that the Braves aren't doing so hot. Well, I've got good news for Braves fans: We're gonna win the World Series this year.

For the past several years, the formula for the Braves has been the same: start off slow, peak in the middle of the season, cruise to the end, lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Not so this year.

The Braves are starting to put the pieces together. They have the best record over their last ten games in the Major Leagues along with the Padres. This just might be the year the Braves get hot at the right time and maybe even reach the Series as a Wild Card. (During the Braves' run of division titles, other teams from their division have won more championships than they have.)

Then again, it might be the year the Braves miss the playoffs, but I doubt it.

In other sports news, the World Cup ended Sunday as Italy beat France on penalty kicks. Probably the most notable event of the game was Zinedine Zidane's ejection. The French legend was red-carded after he headbutted Italian Marco Matterazi. Let me put this into American: Imagine if Micheal Jordan had come out of retirement to play on a US Olympic Team, been the star of the team, lead them to the gold-medal game, then been ejected for headbutting a guy on the other team in overtime. This is huge.

What was Zidane thinking? I doubt anyone will ever know but Zidane. He must have been lead on by Matterazi, but that is still no excuse.

On the other hand, I must admit that the headbutt was legit. When sports stars lose their temper, they usually shout, throw fists, kicks, and tackles. Zidane, without a word, dropped Matterazi to the ground with his head. However, this incident led to one of the saddest images of the World Cup--Zidane leaving the pitch forever, walking right past the trophy that he would not win.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Crawford said...

dude.... whatever the case in regards to the headbutt; I will agree with you... it was a legit move. Imagine something like that in UFC... oh boy, oh boy.... it makes my mouth water with violent saliva just to think about it...

10:23 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home