Thursday, June 08, 2006

Take a Breath...And a Nap

Yesterday I closed up the fitness center at noon and drove home. Yes, instead of driving to Simi Valley, like I have every day for the last couple weeks, I went home. When I got home, I hung out with my mom for a bit and then took a fat nap, or--as my cousin would call it--a coma. It was wonderful.

Tuesday was the day of the California primary elections (if "California Primary" rings a bell, you have probably seen the first season of 24). Therefore, it was the culmination of a political campaign I have been working on for a couple weeks. My candidate won, and it was great to enjoy the success of the efforts of the campaign. Victory is sweet indeed.

One factor in the election was low voter turnout. How sad! I find the low turnout to be particularly disturbing and failure to vote well nigh inexcusable. Some people say they are too busy, while others say they don't vote because they are dissatisfied with current politics. What a reason to vote! If you are dissatisfied with those in office, go to the polls and voice your opinion where it counts. If you don't vote, you pretty much forfeit your right to complain about those in office.

Now that the election is over, I'm having more time to hang out with friends and family and to sleep. I'm also becoming able to enjoy my job at the TMC fitness center more. Yesterday I was reading some of the studio diaries at the website of the band Travis, who are currently recording a new cd. Dougie (the bass player) chronicles the band's progress while commenting on a variety of topics, including his new black video iPod. "Crikey it’s a seductive object," he says. "In moments like these I’m not sure if technology is our saviour or our potential downfall." (Read Derek Brown's published thoughts on "The Multi-Tasking Generation" here.)

I also get to watch my fair share of Sportscenter here in the fitness center. Yesterday I heard that the Astros are paying Roger Clemens $12 million for what will be 18 starts (if all goes well.) That's about $667,000 per start. Today a quality start is considered to be at least six innings, so that's over $100,000 an inning. It's a hard knock life...

That's all for now. For the rest of the day, I'm looking forward to enjoying the Sermon on the Mount, a nap, dinner with friends, and a Bible Study about prayer and God's sovereignty. It's a hard knock life...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Tuesday was only the Democratic primary. I could have voted? I had no idea.

12:05 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home