Monday, June 05, 2006

All We Need

So while I was eating my Frosted Mini-Wheats at 5:30 this morning, I calculated that I worked over 70 hours this last week, and that was with a holiday. Tomorrow is June 6, and that means election day! (By the way, remember to vote.) June 6 also brings the good news that I will be less busy soon.

Yesterday during work I got to stop in at Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley for a few minutes before I started walking and knocking. My roommate, Jordan Thiesen, attended that church all year, and each Sunday he returned excited about what he had learned through Francis Chan's preaching.

Francis Chan was talking about Colossians, and he talked about two different things that sparked my interest.

First, he talked about how Jesus is all we need. He said the Paul wrote to the Colossians to tell them about all that we have in Christ. He said that when we have Christ, we won't feel like we need anything else. We won't say, "If I just had Jesus and a nice house or a nice job or money or a girlfriend, then I would be happy." Chan, using his music stand/pulpit as a prop, said that implying that we need something besides Jesus is like saying, "If I had all of Bill Gates's money and this music stand, then I would be rich." Christ is all we need. We find eternal life in him; what more can we want?

Second, he talked about being heavenly minded and how that related to giving. He said that he hears a common excuse for not giving. People say, "Well, I just like nice things." This is ludricrous on many levels. First, that statement presupposes that other people don't like nice things. It implies that you like nice things while the rest of us like stinky stuff. Also, that statement shows a mindset that is not focused on heaven. We should not be finding our comfort in earthly things, but in our living hope for a pure and undefiled inheritance, reserved in heaven for us.

That's pretty cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice site. Francis Chan is a surfer. You are a surfer. Coincidence? hee hee. I'm sure you've seen it, but I love the "Just Stop and Think" movie they put out.

9:32 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home