Thursday, April 20, 2006







For All Who Will Follow

Another Thursday night has come and gone, and so has another Generations (group pic from about a month ago above). God has used Generations to bless me in so many ways, and tonight was no exception.

As a study we have been going through MacArthur's Daily Bible. Each Thursday, someone teaches on the week's memory verse. Tonight the sermon was on Luke 9:23-24, which says, "And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it."

Joey Newton delivered a powerful message on these verses. True discipleship goes against everything the world tells us. I noticed two distinctives of discipleship:

We must lose ourselves in this life. Christ calls us to give up everything. This hit me on both the large scale as Joey spoke of martyrs and on the small scale as I thought of the countless small ways I need to deny my own desires daily.

We gain everything in Christ. This is the great thing about discipleship. We are giving up the inferior things of this life for the superiority of eternal life with Christ. And this eternal life begins now as we know the new life that he brings.

After the study had broken up into fellowship and dessert (which was really a full meal tonight--I had a cheese dog, shrimp, cake, strawberries, candy, and deviled eggs), I talked with Matt, a newcomer to our study who just got saved two weeks ago. Personally, I was refreshed and amazed as he told me about the work God had done and is doing in his life.

Both on the way to and from Generations, I was listening to some old Godsong, especially the song "For All Who Will Follow." The chorus says,

For all who will follow
You say, "Come take up your cross today"
And Lord, I am yours now
Raise me up to lose myself for your sake

Jesus is calling for us to leave all and follow him and find abundant life in him. Now that's really awesome.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

EXCELLENT blog tonight, it actually related quite a bit to some things going on in my life. Maybe we can hang this weekend? hope so!
<33

2:04 AM PDT  
Blogger roberta said...

Great post! The ways we live for self are so numeous and often unnoticeable to us. Thanks for the challenge.

8:06 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro! Keep 'em coming! I know it's called Step Onto Liquid but your blog is on fire!

4:24 PM PDT  
Blogger Jessica Ross said...

Thanks for the encouraging post. I always need a reminder that a life lived for Christ, is the only life that counts.
And sorry about the bizarre IM conversation earlier. I'm really not a lunatic.

-Jess

11:58 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home