Monday, January 23, 2006

Giddy as a Schoolboy

Today is one of those days when I am more aware of my nerdiness. It is the first day of classes for the Spring Semester here at The Master's College. And instead of filling me with dread, thoughts of papers, reading, and rousing class dialogue excite me. On top of my usual propensity towards being a nerd, I am particularly looking forward to my classes this semester. The class load should not be too intense, and I'm interested in all the classes I'm taking! I'm also diving into two upper division political studies classes this semester, and it is exciting to get started on my major classes.

I'm also excited to get back into the routine of school. Last week I attended two Bible conferences. Both were stellar, but now I feel the need to simply think and digest the things I learned there and apply them. Hopefully now I will have time to do just that.

At Resolved: I was blessed to hear some of the best preaching that I've ever heard from C.J. Mahaney, Steve Lawson, John MacArthur, and Rick Holland. The messages actually covered a variety of topics, but I was able to take away a couple of main themes from the conference. One was the need to remain cross-centered in my thinking. In order to accurately apply the things I learned, I must remember what Jesus did on the cross. He cried, "It is finished;" I can know that my salvation is complete. And as MacArthur pointed out in his sermon on the Prodigal Son, the Father has completely forgiven me--I am reconciled to him. The conference definitely brought an increase in my awareness of my own sin, so it is essential to know that I am forgiven. The conference also brought a renewed enjoyment of life. Rick Holland preached a great opening message on Ecclesiastes. God wants us to enjoy life! And how can we do this? By enjoying God because he is most desirable!

The next conference was the Truth and Life Conference here at TMC. The theme this year was "Created Male & Female." The speakers were John MacArthur, Wayne Grudem, and R. Kent Hughes. I loved this conference because it painted a beautiful picture of marriage and the biblical roles of men and women. Grudem was my favorite speaker there. He is unapologetically nerdy, yet hysterically funny. And he is not afraid to test the standard of the Bible against that of the world because he knows that the Bible is right.

But now it's back to classes. Back to the homework and business of school. And here comes the test of applying the things I learned at the conferences. Although it is easy to lose sight of those things in the midst of the day, I am encouraged by the Bible when it says. "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on things of the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you will appear with Him in glory." (Col 3:1-4)

So until next time. Keep pressing on, focus on the cross, enjoy life, keep your mind on things above, and let His word dwell in you richly. And if you have time, play some Civ IV.

4 Comments:

Blogger roberta said...

Great to read a new post! I'm glad you enjoyed the conferences and am praying that you will be able to assimilate much of what you learned into your daily life.

6:59 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro! Glad to hear that you are having a great time going back to school. This is definitely one of those times when it's great to be a nerd! Also, thanks for the synopsis of those two conferences you were able to go to. I hope that you are still able to take some time and think about specific things that you learned. I'd love to hear more about them here on the blog! Have a great semester! Dominate not only your homework but the entire world in Civ4!

1:11 PM PST  
Blogger Christa Blakey said...

Ben-
What a great update on things in your neck of the woods. I'm glad you are learning so much. I was encouraged by two things you said. 1) Being a Christian, my daily objective must be to seek that which is above from Col. 3:1-4, great reminder. 2) "And if you have time, play some Civ IV"...Amen, brother!

1:43 PM PST  
Blogger Corie said...

Can I just say that it totally sucks that Mackey's test are now open book.....I think I should get a metal or something for surviving the class when it wasnt so easy!

2:30 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home