Monday, December 19, 2005


A Semester in Review
So what have I been up to in my blogging absence?

It is no news to anyone that my blogging has been less than consistent over my first semester of college. In the midst of homework and Hotchkiss, I just have not had much time for blogging. So you might be asking, "What in the world was I up to that was more important than updating my blog?" Well, I'll respond with a few highlights of my semester.

Generations If you have visited my blog at all recently and noticed the paucity of posts, you have also probably noticed me writing about Generations. Therefore I don't really need to say much about it. Generations is the Bible Study I attend on Thursday nights. From high schoolers to old folks, the people are awesome.

Hotchkiss Before I set foot on TMC as a student, I was destined to live in the best dorm on campus. For seven years before me, my brothers have dwelt in the halls of Hotchkiss. I have followed in their footsteps and I am loving it! The only problem with Hotchkiss is that sometimes I don't get as much homework done as I would like, but frankly, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.




Outreach Week Another highlight of my semester was Outreach Week. During this week, TMC students get sent out to various SoCal churches, and I signed up to go to Corona. One of the reasons I enjoyed this week so much was the team I was on. No matter what happened, we were determined to serve the church there and have a good time doing it. I grew through working with teammates, and I even had the chance to teach some of the coolest junior highers in the world on Sunday morning. We even got to help out with 80's skate night. I'm already looking forward to Outreach Week '06. Yeah, Corona.

A Weekend in Texas Early in the semester, the parents of one of my San Antonio friends contacted me about coming out and surprising their son, Derek, for his 18th birthday. Fortunately everything worked out, and I was able to go. Richard Carroll, another friend of mine from BA, also came down to surprise Derek. We all had a great weekend thinking of our good high school memories as well as creating some new ones. From raptor walking to coconuts to football/napping to poker to hanging out in the attic at BA, we had good times all around.

Chapel Every Monday/Wednesday/Friday, TMC students head to the gym for chapel. Each week chapel is a highlight as we all gather together to sing and to hear great messages about God's word from skilled speakers. I remember looking at the schedule on night with my roommate to see who would speak in chapel the next day. When we saw "Sab Matsumoto," our first thought was mutual: Great...a math professor. However, we were both challenged by his great message of living a focused life from Philippians 3. It is such a blessing to hear from so many different speakers throughout the course of the semester.

My Job What is the perfect college job? I used to think that it was one of the jobs that allowed you to do your homework as you merely watched people go in and out of the fitness center. But now I know what it really is--getting payed to go to the basketball games. For all the home basketball games, I work alongside Travis Dalton keeping stats. What beats getting paid to have a front row seat?

These are just a few highlights of what has been an amazing semester. It feels like time has gone by so fast, yet at the same time it seems like ages since the summertime. I can only look forward to the next semester with great anticipation. With all that has happened this semester, who knows what will occur next time around? Who knows what friends I will make, what challenges I will face in the classroom, what random fun will take place in Hotchkiss, what lessons the Lord teach? I sure don't. But I can't wait to find out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, Great to see you're back blogging! I am glad to hear that you had a great first semester at Master's and that you are looking forward to more of the same next semester. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas break and are able to keep updating your blog with quality posts like this one!

7:35 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hotchkiss Rules!
T-Flow(affectionately known to you as Tiff)

11:10 AM PST  
Blogger Bri said...

I loved your semester review!! You forgot to mention your new found love of punching babies? and jogging to the bow-chicka-bow-wow. I hope you enjoy your break, and thanks for your help on the Destroyer question the other day, me and Jason were a little confizzled. Love you!

12:29 AM PST  
Blogger Bill Blakey said...

Here is welcome back from a fellow delinquent blogger who should be posting a new one today. Glad your semester was a blast.

1:14 PM PST  
Blogger Steve Crawford said...

About time you got a new post. Good one too. Just one correction. We will all agree that Hotchkiss is a nice place, but at the end of the day, the Slight way is the right way.

12:25 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home