Thursday, September 15, 2005


The Ship is Sinking
So What are We Going to Do About It?

For the last week, Dr. Boyd, my Old Testament Survey II professor, has demanded most of my time, and my blogging duties have therefore been neglected. But fear not, my blogging ambitions have not been abandoned, for I am back.

Speaking of being back, last Sunday was John MacArthur's first Sunday back at Grace Community Church after a few months of sabbatical. In his two sermon's last Sunday, he talked about recognizing a true church and what a church should be all about. His main two points were that a church should be all about Jesus and the Bible, but in one of his other points he talked about how the church should not be all about politics. He said, "We [The Church] are not trying to rearrange the furniture on the Titanic. We are trying to hand out lifeboats."

The church should never forget that only Jesus Christ can bring true change in someone's life. Whether they are "moral" or not, people are going to die, and they need to be prepared for this inevitability with the cleansing blood of Christ. This morning Prof. Jensen, my World History teacher, said, "At the end of the day, the thief, the prostitute, and the deputy sheriff go to hell without Christ." The ship is sinking, and Jesus Christ is the only lifeboat that brings salvation.

I often write about this issue of the church & politics, but as I was reminded in World History this morning, this is not an "either/or" situation. I would encourage all Christians to be involved in politics. Pay attention to current events (like the confirmation hearings for John Roberts.) Vote, and even attend your precinct meeting. Get involved in a campaign. Run for office. And do it all for the glory of Jesus Christ.

As we go throughout our lives, whether we are politicians, accountants, students, or pastors, we must always remember that the ship is sinking. We must at all times be ready to present the gospel, the only lifeboat the leads to safety.

4 Comments:

Blogger roberta said...

As I was listening to the point in the sermon that talked about the church and politics, I thought, "I bet Ben is enjoying this!". I too liked the Titanic illustration. It's good to see you back in blogdom.

7:48 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Bro,

Welcome back! Thanks for the MacArthur quote with the Titanic and the lifeboats! Jesus is the only way of salvation!

8:52 AM PDT  
Blogger Christa Blakey said...

Ben-
Glad to see you posting again! However I do agree with Brad on the blogging excuses...

Thanks for sharing that McArthur quote. That's a really good analogy. We so often get caught up in the simple details of feng shui when people's lives are in a critical position. I like how MacArthur said so simply that the church should be all about Jesus and the Bible. Most churches I've ever been to just seem to be about dozens of things and these two get lost in the chaos.

Thanks for the great post, Ben!
-Christa

12:27 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, politics are way too deep for me, so I'll leave you to figure it out, but it sounds like you've got the right ideas.

2:57 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home