Friday, August 26, 2005


The Road Home
Home...But Not Home Yet

When I wake up in the morning now, instead of feeling my fan and the air conditioning, I feel the cool morning air coming through my window. When I go out to lunch now, In-N-Out Burger is always at the top of my option list.

It does indeed feel great to be back in sunny Southern California. Not only does it feel great to be here, but it is thrilling to think that I live here now. But as I have traveled this road home, I keep encountering a certain thought: California is not really home! Although California will always feel like an earthly home to me, I have started thinking about how Christians can never really call any earthly place "home." Our home is Heaven, and we must therefore live as strangers & exiles here in this world. Hebrews 11 says, "But [Abraham and Sarah] desire a better country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared for them a city."

So whether we're from Texas, California, Maine, or Hawaii, we must live life remembering that Heaven is our home. We should plan careers in the light of eternal impact. We should treat money like it all belongs to God (because it does), and we should make sure we invest in heavenly treasures.

My internet is now up and running here at college, so hopefully blogging will resume to some state of normality. Until next time, keep stepping onto liquid.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pastor Bruce said...

Ben, Way to jump back in to the blogosphere! All I can say is WOW.

8:54 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, if there is anything you have said thusfar that I wholeheartedly agree with more than anything else, this is it! That is one thought that I am continually thinking every day, heaven is my home, and how very much I want to be there. You are a very profound guy.

4:09 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home