Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Why?
I don't know, but I'll tell you what I do know

No one escapes tragedy. Some may live less tragic lives than others, but sooner or later, everyone must face tragedy. Sometimes it comes on a grand scale, like 9/11, or other times it comes on a smaller scale, like a death in the family.

Over the past week, I have been reminded of tragedy. I have heard stories of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina that I cannot even comprehend. Many people's lives have been changed forever; many lives have been lost. I was also reminded of tragedy as I attended a memorial service for Bethany Rehrer in chapel last Friday.

Tragedy often forces a simple question: why? This question almost always quickly brings me to the end of my knowledge. But when I experience or observe tragedy, I find it helpful to remind myself of a few things.

First, God is in control. No matter what the tragedy, God is always in control. Even though the news of the Rehrers' deaths came as a shock to me, God was not surprised at all. He was on his throne, orchestrating every event. Also, God was in control of the exact path of Hurricane Katrina. The power of the winds are not too much for God, rather they are manifestations of his power and glory. Again we find ourselves asking, "Why?" And again, we cannot always know the answer. God is sovereign and infinitely above us. For a great John Piper article on this, click here.

Second, death comes to all. Whether it happens suddenly or after a long, full life, we all will die if the Lord tarries. Also, many times we wonder if certain deaths or catastrophes were a direct result of God's judgment. But as I was reminded this Sunday, all death is judgment. Why do we die? We die because we sin. A group of people once asked Jesus about some who had tragically died. Jesus answered, "Do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” We are all going to die; we must be ready.

Third, we have a Savior. When we realize that we will die, we are quickly confronted with our sin and therefore our need for a Savior. But the good news of the gospel is this: we have a Savior in Jesus Christ. He has paid the price for our sins, and if we believe in him, we can find eternal life. We can live with no fear of death. We can have hope in the face of tragedy.

The inevitability of tragedy shows all of us how much we do not know, and shows us our need for a Savior. Praise be to God that through Jesus Christ, we can find forgiveness, hope, and eternal life. And once again may we all remember those suffering in the Gulf States in our prayers.

(The record should note that this post was temporarily interrupted for a fire drill.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, Thanks for this post which encourages us to think through the ramifications of tragedy. Although much has been written regarding Katrina I found this to be very helpful. Sometimes in these terrible tragedies, we see the good news of Jesus for how beautiful it is! May this tragedy bring many to Him!

11:22 PM PDT  
Blogger roberta said...

In times of tragedy it is so easy to think of the Whys or If onlys, thanks for the reminder to focus on what is true.

7:59 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah my dear beanles... good post, I totally agree, tragedy is not really tragedy after all is it? it's all in God's hands. It's all beautiful, life and death... because God is in control of it all. So... if it had been a real fire, would you have made it out in time?

6:03 PM PDT  
Blogger Evan said...

A very encouraging post that reminds me that we have the ultimate answer to tragedy, Jesus Christ!

Thanks Ben

6:09 PM PDT  
Blogger Drew said...

Ben,
John Piper is seriously one of my favorite preachers (touch black velvet! haha), and that Article you linked up was exactly what some people need to read.
Keep up the great posts,
-Drew

12:39 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks ben for the reminder to keep a proper perspective in all situations.

9:14 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben-
I enjoyed the post...very timely and true.

How's college? Besides those fabulous fire drills I mean? I hope all is well! Your father's blog made me think that quietly reading y'all's blogs is a little like not contributing to the conversation at the dinner table (plus you may be the one with the superspy software that tracts my browsing :) so since I can't let that pass I just wanted to say I really enjoy your posts and am always encouraged by them. Blog on!

12:08 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben blakey! thanks for your thoughts on here, you have an awesome blog! it was so great to see you over the weekend, i love how excited you are to be there, your good attitude is so inspiring and even contagious. :D

9:46 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home