Friday, September 02, 2005



Thirsty

This is my new Brita water filter. I started college a week ago, and the only easily accessible water comes from the drinking fountain across the hall or the bathroom sink. However, once I pass this suspect water through my Brita and put in in my fridge, I feel like I am drinking straight from a mountain spring. Well, maybe not, but the Brita has been especially nice this week because I have been sick and therefore forcing fluids. (I am starting to feel better.)

I have been thinking a lot about "thirst" this week, and in a broader sense than just the wonderful water from my Brita. Psalm 63:1-4 says this:

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.
I have been challenged by this Psalm. Do I thirst for God? Do I long for him so much that my flesh faints? Over the past week I have celebrated my 19th birthday, and as I have thought about a new year of life, I hope to make this year a year of thirsting for God. I hope to desire God more and more throughout the year, and then seek him more the next year.
Why should we thirst for God? Thankfully, David provides a pretty good answer: Because your steadfast love is better than life. We thirst for God because we know he satisfies. He quenches the desires of our heart. Sometimes we get sidetracked and look for fulfillment elsewhere, and that is sad because we are rejecting God himself when we do so. But this year I intend to seek to become more acquainted with God, who satisfies our hearts, gives us salvation, and quenches our thirst for living water, which is way better than even the Brita variety.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Everything you say is true, true, true, but -- tinkling cymbal...clanging gong.

9:34 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, I've been thinking about hungering and thirsting after Christ a lot this week and your blog is a great encouragement along those lines. It's encouraging to know that you are thinking about these same things at TMC. I'm glad that you're feeling better and hope you are enjoying your classes and dorm life. Thanks for posting!

9:39 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Not a breath of mention of the people starving and thirsting to death in New Orleans, Mr. President? Piety at such a time does not bode well for your political career, and I dare say does not impress the Lord, either.

7:17 AM PDT  
Blogger Ben Blakey said...

If you visit my blog regularly, you will notice that most of the posts are of a personal nature. Therefore, I hope that no one received the idea that I was trying to talk about thirsting for God in contrast with others who were suffering from real thirst and hunger.

Also, I appreciate comments on my blog, but if you would like to contribute something to the discussion, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name.

And may our thoughts, prayers, and efforts be with those who are suffering in the wake of the storm.

2:13 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben I think your posts are particularly good. Someone obviously is being overly critical. But don't be discouraged Ben, your posts are awesome and very encouraging.

11:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Evan said...

Thanks for reminding us to be thirsting after God, Ben. It seems like such a basic truth but we can forget about it so easily. Your post was very encouraging - dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

7:40 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home