Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Week 3 Update



I am making a conscience effort to keep track of the days and weeks of my summer in order to avoid that unfortunate morning when I wake up and say, "Oh snap! There are only two more weeks left of summer." So far, my summer has been a flurry of activity. I spent week one (of thirteen summer weeks) traveling to Texas and all over California.

I spent week two pretty much working all day every day. In the mornings I wake up at 5AM and go open up the fitness center at school at 6, and then I work there until noon. Then I would drive out to Simi Valley/Moorpark to work on a political campaign. My work on the campaign falls into two primary categories: walking and knocking (door-to-door) and smiling and dialing (calling voters on the phone). Let me just say that these are not my favorite activities. However, I must say that the weather has been awesome for walking. I'm glad I'm not doing this in Texas. Also, the views from some of the places in Moorpark are pretty sweet. One of the things I've learned on the job is not to take myself too seriously. It's easy to get apprehensive when you're knocking on doors, and it's easy to be afraid that someone is going to slam the door in your face. I've learned to just keep going and not really worry about things like that.

My parents have been gone for the last couple weeks in South Africa. They get home in about 52 hours, and I'm really excited about. While they have been gone I have been able to spend some time with friends. Last Friday, a group of us made our own huge pizookie at Tommy's apartment. On Saturday, a few of us had a BBQ at my house. For four guys, it was a pretty good meal: grilled chicken, salad, garlic bread, strawberries, chips, and strawberry shortcake.

Well, that does it for the Week 3 update. Hopefully I'll post some tomorrow or Friday about the Beatitudes. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home