Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Survival Camp

I once said, "[Survival Camp] is technically the summer camp of the high school group at First Baptist Church of Los Altos but effectively the best week of the summer or even year for anyone who attends." I attended twice as a camper and, needless to say, loved it both times. Along with remembering the fun I had and the friends I made, I remember Camp helping me to set the spiritual tone for my next school year. Survival Camp is awesome.

This year I had the chance to return to Sweet Home Lake Camanche--this time as a counselor. I had the joy of leading the guys on the Mexico team (the camp had a Latin American theme). Two competitive highlights for our team were winning the guys triathalon and skit night.

Once again, I really enjoyed camp. During Reflections on Friday night, I started to realize how glad I was that I had come to camp. Although my experience as a counselor was quite different from my times as a camper, I still enjoyed myself physically and spiritually.

I feel like I'll spend the next year digesting all that I learned at Survival Camp. I learned leadership both by experience and example. Leading a team brought on some new challenges for me and made me think about some new things. I was also able to learn from others as they served God through leading at the camp.

Daniel Tews spoke each night at the camp, and his lessons challenged me. On Tuesday night, he made everyone think about what they would want written on their tombstone. After going through the usual "Ben was a good guy" options, I started to think think that a comment like that would not be good enough. I need to be "good" in such a way that people will have to connect that goodness to Christ. I would much rather have "For to him, to live was Christ, and to die was gain" on my tombstone than "Ben was successful" or "Ben was a nice dude."

Survival Camp was a joy once again. I had fun, I was challenged by the Word, and I was able to watch God work in the lives of the campers. Now comes another year of remembering that God is the same during worship at Survival Camp, during my 8 o'clock class, forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Driving up with you was great, tell your parents thanks for loaning us the car!

1:57 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home