Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Salt, Light, and Nerf


One of my fondest memories of my childhood is Nerf Wars. I remember spending many afternoons in Carpinteria in the heat of battle with all the neighborhood kids. I even remember my brothers talking me into going on many"kamikaze" missions and me thinking that was the coolest thing ever.

However, these battles are no longer only memories because the new hotness in Hotchkiss is Nerf. Last Friday night/Saturday morning, a few friends and I visited every Wal-Mart in the Santa Clarita Valley looking for Nerf Guns. On Sunday night, we had one-on-one battles in the lounge. There are big plans on the horizon for Nerf Wars. Happy days, Hawkins, happy days...

On a different note, I've been kicking a question around in my mind over the past week: "What should the Christian life look like in modern America?" This question is pretty huge, and I'll admit that I don't have all the answers to it. However, I think the answer to this question can be easily made more complicated than it is. The Bible is full of helpful pictures of what the Christian life should look like. In the Sermon of the Mount, Jesus describes the differences that should make Christians "the light of the world." The Galatians, Paul lists the fruits of the spirit, which stand in direct contrast to the deeds of the flesh.

All this to say, that it should not be hard to apply the Bible to our lives. It should affect the way I treat my roommate, how I treat my schoolwork, my involvement in my church, the way I talk, my attitude, my whole life. Also, it should not be that hard to stick out as a Christian. Our lifestyle should make it obvious that we are living for something different than the world.

That's all for now, until next time watch your back. There might be a Nerf dart flying towards it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

LOL nerf! hahaha me and liana went shopping for nerf guns a few weeks ago! next time i see u... haha game on.

and btw, this blog was something i was JUST writing about... crazy!

12:57 AM PDT  
Blogger Greg P said...

Two words: Nerf Arrowstorm.

Looking forward to the retreat this weekend. Perhaps you should rally the troops to bring their weapons along for free time?

11:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Bill Blakey said...

It is official, Nerf is the new hotness as it has similarly caught on in the "center of the universe" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the revolver, bro! It is making all the guys in my small group think I am a lot cooler.

11:21 AM PDT  
Blogger Ty said...

N. E .R. F. stands for Nerfawsome.
peace.
T-Flo

8:32 PM PDT  
Blogger Bill Blakey said...

Nice pasty whiteness, Jordan...

10:09 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home